Q. How will the openurl link resolver work in Primo VE?
The link resolver base url is:
Update 7/2020: The latest format that Ex Libris recommends (after October 2018), does include a question mark at the end of the string. An older format without a question mark may work with some vendors, but less consistently.
This link needs to be updated in:
- All of your databases from which you'll want a "get full-text" type link
- Google Scholar
- Anywhere else that you're using a "get full-text" link
How the links work:
The result looks like your detailed record:
- if you have direct linking turned on, you go right to the source
- if you require any logins (ignoring true SSO capabilities), you'll see a login
- if you display all links, that's what you'll see
Example of what patron would see after logging in:
You'll need to decide whether or not you want to make patrons sign-on to see the link results. The open url does kick you to a sign in if the results are behind a sign in Primo:
If you don't like the way this works, you can change the ILLiad link to appear in front of the sign-in by setting "Enable without login" to yes:
If you don't change this, your patrons will be required to login to Primo to see the request button, and then login to ILLiad to place the request.
Incomplete requests: If a request comes in that's missing a full URL or something like that, it will default to go to Resource Sharing instead of ILLiad.
DOI searching and PMID searching: see https://slcny.libanswers.com/faq/262503
Here is the related documentation on the OpenURL and services page (essentially the interface for the Alma link resolver): https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Primo/Product_Documentation/020Primo_VE/025Display_Configuration/015Configuring_the_Services_Page_for_Primo_VE
- Do you have additional details to share about setting up a Custom Link in EBSCO to locate full text through Primo/Alma? I've got the link icon and the base URL (thank you), but what do I enter in the Query String field? Any advice about the Advanced Settings options? I appreciate your help.
- Is there any update on the incomplete link resolver requests triggering a resource sharing request link instead of an interlibrary loan link?
- Hello, Ryan. We just did an online training session that should answer your question. The recording is available here: